Manufacturer: Walker China
User: Waldorf Lunch System
Date of plate: Circa 1920s
Notes: From Jan Whitaker's Consumer Society website, the first Waldorf Lunch opened in 1904, in Springfield, Mass. "In keeping with its full name, 'Waldorf Lunch System,' everything about it was highly standardized. All food was prepared in a central commissary and delivered to the units. The chain, which moved its base to Boston, served 36 million meals in 1920."
Estimates of the number of Waldorf Lunch locations at the height of its success vary from 75 stores to more than 100. It is not known when it closed.
The white china has the early Bailey-Walker backstamp. On the front is a border of green leaves intersected by small apples and the larger Waldorf System logo, also in green, with an apple in its center.
Waldorf Lunch by Maddock Pottery
Waldorf Lunch 3 by Buffalo China
Waldorf Lunch 4 by Wood & Sons