Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Walton – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Date of compote: circa 1905 – 1924
Notes: The Hotel Walton, on the southeast corner of Broad and Locust Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, opened February 12, 1896. The new ten-story hotel section incorporated the older nine-story Hotel Metropole that adjoined it. The Walton contained 400 rooms and 200 baths. The ladies' dining room was on the corner of the first floor, with the Palm Cafe adjacent to it. The Turkish Room was to the left of the lobby staircase. A gentlemen's cafe was in the former Metropole dining room space. The American plan dining room and a banquet room were on the tenth floor.
In June 1946 the Walton closed because it did not comply with fire safety standards. After safety improvements were completed, the hotel reopened as the John Bartram. The Bartram is listed in the 1962 Hotel Red Book with 350 rooms. It is not listed in 1963. The building was torn down around 1966.
Maddock made Lamberton China crested with a boar's head emerging from a crown. The flanking transfer border was designed by Charles A. May and patented in 1905 (Des. 37,321).
Author and photos: Larry Paul