Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Washington State Normal School – Monroe Hall
Border Pattern: Mistic – Underglazed Pattern #70501
Distributor: Tull & Gibbs Furniture Store, Spokane, WA
Date of plate: Circa 1916
Notes: Originally founded in 1882, as the Cheney Academy with a gift from Benjamin P. Cheney, it became the Washington State Normal School in 1890. Monroe Hall, named in honor of then Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Mrs. Mary Monroe, opened on February 4, 1916. It contained a 200-seat dining hall. An inventory of all the equipment in Monroe Hall, dated April 7, 1926, includes "13 1/3 doz (160 pieces) RE (rolled edge) plates 'Mystic' $7.35 per doz." The original flatware used with this china has "Monroe Hall" stamped on it. The capital 'W' also was used on school equipment and sweaters during that time period.
Today, the Washington State Normal School is known as Eastern Washington University.
White body plate with Mistic (also known as Mystic) border with outer brown rim line. Topmarked with an upper case, square corner serif, W in blue transfer. This is a Syracuse China production sample plate from the collection of Fishs Eddy in New York City. The plate is handmarked Sample #9136 MONROE HALL.
Eastern Washington University website: ewu.edu
Information on china supplied by Charles V. Mutschler, Ph.D, Professor/University Archivist, Eastern Washington University.
ID contributed by L Paul
Photo contributed by Babcock