Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Youree – Shreveport, Louisianna
Date of example: circa 1914 – 1924
Notes: Peter Youree (1843-1914) financed the construction of the hotel on the corner of Market and Travis streets in Shreveport, Louisianna, that was named for him. When the seven-story hotel opened on January 15, 1914, it contained 250 rooms. In 1923, The Washington Hotel Company began constructing an eight-story, 250 room hotel on adjoining property. When it opened, on December 15, 1924, it was named New Washington Hotel. In 1928, the two hotels joined together under management of United Hotels Co. and were operated as Washington-Youree Hotel. In 1953, the original Youree section was renamed Captain Shreve Hotel with 300 rooms and was operated by a separate company. The hotel was still operating in 1978 but was torn down in 1980.
Maddock made a service on American China body that is crested "Hotel Youree" in Old English-style lettering. A frame of scrolls and curved lines enclose the name. A green line and two pin lines flank the crest, mid rim. The one known example of this transfer pattern has an impressed "Maddock's American China" back stamp. A fragment of this china was found in a Maddock dump site, in Trenton, used from 1912 to 1921.
Twin Blends Photography LLC, Facebook 12-minute video, August 3, 2020, photos and history of Hotel Youree
For additional info:
Youree Hotel 2
Author and photos: Larry Paul