Manufacturer: Mayer China
User: Bull and Bear Steakhouse & Bar, Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
Date of pitcher: July-September 1979
Notes: The Bull and Bear started out in the 1800s as bronze sculptures placed behind the original Waldorf-Astoria Hotel Bar, in honor of its patrons — primarily businessmen involved with the New York Stock Exchange. When the New York hotel relocated in 1931 from where the Empire State Building stands today, the bronze statues were also relocated to the hotel's new Men's Bar.
Many of the patrons began referring to the bar as the Bull and Bear, adopting the moniker as the bar's unofficial title. In 1960, the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel opened the new clubby Bull and Bear Steakhouse and placed the original bronze sculptures in prominent display behind the bar. Since then, the steakhouse and bar have undergone remodeling, but the Bull and Bear statues remain as a continued homage to its patrons and to the legacy of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. Click here for the Bull and Bear Steakhouse & Bar website and click here for more Wikipedia information about the Waldorf=Astoria Hotel.
White body featuring a dark gray rustic log frame around a Bull and Bear standing face-to-face.
For related info:
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel by Sterling China
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 2 by Mayer China and Shenango China
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 3 by Shenango China
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 4 by Unknown Manufacturer
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 5 by Buffalo China and Syracuse China
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 6 by Sterling China
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 7 by Syracuse China
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel 8 by Scammell China