Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Seminole – Jacksonville, Florida
Date of examples: circa 1910 – 1917
Notes: The Hotel Seminole, on the corner of Hogan and Forsyth Streets in Jacksonville, Florida, opened January 1, 191o. It was ten-stories high, with 250 rooms and 175 baths. It had three cafes, and two convention halls, or ballrooms. One hall seated 500 and the other 400. Below the third-floor windows were terra cotta ornaments depicting the bust of a Seminole chief. Over the entrances, on the second floor of two facades, there were covered balconies. These were popular gathering places on hot days, before air conditioning was available.
When it opened the Hotel Seminole was owned by the Florida Hotel Company. By 1917, Ucita Investment Company was the owner, with J. B. Pound as company president. By 1946, the J. B. Pound Hotels Company was the operator. The Seminole closed September 14, 1967, and was torn down in 1974. A couple of the Seminole chief terra cotta ornaments were salvaged and reused nearby.
Maddock made Lamberton China crested with a decal bust of the Seminole chief, with braided hair, that is similar to the artwork used on the terra cotta exterior ornaments. The hotel's service plate has a decal border shown in the Maddock pattern sample book as "#5040, Indian Border." A large version of the Seminole chief is in the center of the well. The other pieces in this china service are crested with a small version of the Seminole chief decal, with green lines at the rim. Back stamps on know pieces are the style that was used from around 1912 to around 1917. The Indian Room was one of the Seminole Hotel dining rooms, and probably where this pattern was used.
Author and photos: Larry Paul