Manufacturers: Maddock Pottery and Scammell China
User: Stacy-Trent Hotel – Trenton, New Jersey
Date of service plate: circa 1921 – 1935
Notes: The Stacy-Trent Hotel, on the corner of State and Willow Streets in Trenton, New Jersey, was named for Mahion Stacy, the first settler, and William Trent, who laid out the town. This 11-story, 250-room hotel opened September 21, 1921. It contained a 40' by 76' main dining room overlooking the park, on the lobby floor. The mezzanine floor contained a 36' by 110' banquet hall that seated 800, and three private dining rooms, one of which was named the "Japanese Room." The coffee shop was located in the basement. There was a crockery storage room in the basement near the loading platform, and china storage areas in the kitchen.
From 1921 to 1934, the Stacy-Trent was operated by United Hotels Company. In 1935, it became a Robert Meyer Hotel. In 1951, Knott Hotels took over management. Around 1961, American Hotels was the operator. The 43-year-old Stacy-Trent closed March 1, 1965, and was demolished in early 1968.
Maddock Pottery got the contract to furnish most of the china for the Stacy-Trent, which is not unusual considering they were both located in Trenton. The order was for 45,000 pieces.
The 12" Lamberton service plates contain the side-by-side Stacy and Trent coat-of-arms shields in the center of the well. The decal border is decorated with baskets of flowers encircled with acanthus scrolls in pink and bale blue, with details in coin gold. A coin gold rim line is above the blue pin line of the decal. Original examples of this plate contain the Maddock back stamp. Mr. Scammell's contact book from around 1925, contains a replacement order for 35 dozen of these plates, which would have the Scammell back stamp.
Hotel Monthly – January, 1922
For additional info:
Stacy-Trent Hotel 2 by
Service plate photos: Paul Trosko
Author and photos: Larry Paul