Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery
User: Hotel Stafford – Baltimore, Maryland
Date of matchstand: circa 1916 – 1924
Notes: The 11-story Hotel Stafford, at Charles and Madison Streets in Baltimore, Maryland, opened November 5, 1894. It had about 140 guest rooms. The main dining room was located on the first floor, with a ladies dining room and some private dining rooms on the second floor.
The Stafford ran into financial problems and in 1923, was taken over by a bank. In 1931, the hotel was renovated and some of the original furnishings were auctioned off. In 1934, the dining room was named the Hunt Room. The Stafford closed in late 1972, and in January 1973, the contents were sold to the public. In 1975, the building was converted to subsidized housing. In 2004, Johns Hopkins University converted it to dorms.
Baltimore china dealer, J. W. Putts & Co. supplied the original china to the Stafford in 1894. Putts was a dealer for Haviland of France and Ridgway of England. What the original china pattern looked like is unknown.
Maddock produced several patterns for the Stafford. The Stafford shield crest in coin gold was used on Lamberton China produced by Maddock. This may be the pattern used in the hotel bedrooms.
For additional info:
Stafford Hotel by Maddock Pottery
Stafford Hotel 2 by Maddock Pottery
Author and photos: Larry Paul