Manufacturer: Mayer China
User: U.S. Steel Corporation
Pattern: USS Initials
Date of plate: 1950
Notes: United States Steel Corporation, headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., was founded in 1901 by J.P. Morgan, Sr. and Elbert H. Gary, attorney, by combining Carnegie Steel Company, Federal Steel Company and National Steel Company to become the largest steel company as well as the largest corporation in the world. It is still the largest integrated steel producer headquartered in the United States.
The shipping division had its start with the Pittsburgh Steamship Company (1899-1967) in 1901 and later the Bradley Transportation Company (1917-1967). Ships transported both iron ore and raw materials as well as the finished product. In 1967 these companies merged to become United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet which ceased operations circa 2002.
The United States Steel Inland Rivers Department operated from circa 1900 through late 1950s/early 1960s. Another subsidiary was the Carnegie-Illinois Steel Company. Its fleet was organized circa 1922 and eventually (around 1950) merged into the larger US Steel inland barge and towboat operation.
The company used various patterns of china over the years which were used aboard the fleet of freighters, towboats and tugs as well as factory cafeterias and executive dining rooms. This pattern, called USS Initials, was used on the Great Lakes Fleet.
White body, green circle surrounding outlined letters USS, matching green bands.
ID contributed by matsonline
Photos contributed by reddygal