Manufacturer: W.H. Grindley, England
User: Baltimore Dairy Lunch
Date of pieces shown: 1920s-early 1940s
Notes: James Arthur Whitcomb founded the Baltimore Dairy Lunch in the 1880s, and by 1921, there were 104 locations in different cities. J.A. Whitcomb also patented the one-arm chair used in his quick lunches – later used in shorthand, medical and law schools – though Henry Bowles of Bowles Lunch, who once worked for Whitcomb, claims to have been the first quick lunch to use the one-arm chair in his chain. Click here to view the US Patent issued to J.A. Whitcomb in April 1903 for his one-arm chair design.
James Thurber made reference to a Baltimore Dairy Lunch at Broad and High Streets in Columbus, Ohio and to one in Chicago; so, they weren't just located on the Atlantic Seaboard.
White body with large swag border of green flowers, leaves & bows (first plate shown above). Topmarked in green with a bull (cow) head in a center circle and the words "Baltimore Dairy Lunch – J.A. Whitcomb" around the circle within another ornamental design.