Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Carlton Hotel
Date of service plate: 1928 – 1930
Notes: Located at 923 16th and K streets, N.W., Washington, D.C., the Carlton Hotel originally opened in October 1926.
In the late 1930s, the hotel was the residence of Secretary of State Cordell Hull and has been attracting the political elite since then, including many presidents over the years. The hotel also was a popular venue for the capitol's social scene in the decades that followed and was frequented by loyal celebrity guests such as Joan Crawford, Jacqueline Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor and Cher. Howard Hughes also kept a permanent suite at the Carlton Hotel during WWII.
From 1933 to 1955, the Carlton and Wardman Park Hotels were part of Washington Properties, Inc. The hotel is advertised in the 1938 Hotel Red Book as: "The only hotel in Washington with completely air-conditioned bedrooms." In 1956, the hotel became the Sheraton-Carlton Hotel.
In December 1987, the Carlton closed its doors to complete a $16 million dollar renovation and reopened the following year on October 2nd – the hotel's 62nd birthday.
In 1999, after 73 years as the Carlton Hotel, the property became The St. Regis of Washington, D.C. – the second St. Regis in the world, opening 95 years after the flagship St. Regis property in New York.
In 2006, the St. Regis of Washington, D.C. underwent an extensive 16-month renovation and reopened in January 2008. Every hotel guest room and all the public areas, including the lobby, ballroom, St. Regis Athletic Club, meeting rooms and the Astor Terrace were renovated.
The St. Regis, Washington, D.C.
Larry Paul's 20th Century Hotel Research Database
Hotel Red Books
White body with gold band border and wide ornamental border of scrolling gold leaves and vines against a royal blue background. Center-marked with the Carlton Hotel crest consisting of a stylized letter "C" set within a red and gold striped blue shield, atop a mound of grass, flanked by two mountain sheep beneath a crown and a helmet. A banner with "Carlton" appears beneath the mound of grass and the shield.
Photos contributed by ebay seller tintulip
ID contributed by leontiev and dbstoneware