Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Deshler Wallick Hotel / Deshler Hotel
Date of gravy boat: 1928 – 1930
Notes: Located at Broad & High Streets in Columbus, Ohio, the 400-room, 12-floor Deshler Hotel was built circa 1915-16 (opened August 23, 1916) by Louis & Adrian Wallick, who also owned the Wallick Hotel on Broadway in New York City, N.Y. and the Secor Hotel in Toledo, Ohio.
In order to focus on the Deshler Hotel, the brothers sold their other two hotels, and in 1925, renovated the Deshler by adding two additional wings of 300 rooms each to bring the hotel up to 1,000 rooms. They also added their name to the hotel and it became the Deshler-Wallick hotel. They ran into financial problems in 1934 and the hotel became part of another chain although Louis was retained as the President of the hotel.
By 1953, the hotel became the Deshler Hilton and closed in 1966. In the 1968 Hotel Red Book, there was a 300-room Beasley-Deshler Hotel at the same site. The hotel was demolished in May 1970 and replaced by One Columbus Center.
Larry Paul's 20th Century Hotel Research Database
Hotel Red Books
Lamberton China white body with a multicolored, wide ornamental border pattern in blue, green/teal and gold. Topmarked with the double griffin style "DW" logo on the inside.
Sauce/Gravy Boat photos contributed by Patrick Carie
Compote pictures contributed by apPaul