Manufacturer: Iroquois China
User: Sample Plate
Date of plate: 1927
Notes: From Wikipedia: "Iroquois China Company was founded in 1905 in Solvay, New York, located on the western border of Syracuse near the southern shores of Onondaga Lake. It operated in Syracuse until closing. Although some references indicate that the company closed in 1969, certain designs (e.g., "Informal", "Museum White") were advertised and sold until the early-mid 1970s."
This white sample plate with a narrow black band on the outer edge of the rim, contains 12 underglaze logos of various businesses and organizations spaced along the rim. These logos are broken into six groups and ID's are given where known. Click on group photos for larger images.
Lakeview Inn: Shows a mallard duck flying over a lake with water grasses in the foreground.
S.G.C.: These three initials in black block letters are shown below the drawing of a Native American Indian Chief in full headdress.
IAAC: Elaborate shield with a burgundy background containing a simpler blue shield with a crescent moon, a winged foot, and the letters "IAAC" in fancy block letters, which is the logo for the Los Angeles Athletic Club.
The Weber Duck Inn: Drawing of two yellow ducklings – one sitting and one standing on light green grass – below a yellow ribbon banner with the name of the inn in brown block letters. Click here for an article on the Inn's history.
Hotel Gramatan: Circular logo for the Hotel Gramatan in Bronxville, New York. For additional info: Gramatan Hotel.
The Orange Court: Shows a gray colonial-style sign with the word "The" in Old English script at the top with a long dull gold ribbon banner running in front of the signs middle containing the words "Orange Court" in Old English script. The bottom section of the sign contains a drawing of several oranges with green leaves. For additional info: The Orange Court Hotel.
Arion Brooklyn: Shows a Greek or Roman man in white clothing playing a lyre while standing on a large fish-like creature. Probably based on Greek mythological poet who was kidnapped by pirates and saved by a dolphin. The word "Arion" in block letters is to the left of the drawing and the word "Brooklyn" in block letters is to the right. Most likely this was the logo of the Arion Singing Society of Brooklyn that was founded in 1865. Click here for additional on Arion Singing Society.
Markham: Shows a light blue shield containing a drawing of a griffin. The bottom two-thirds of the shield is divided into three sections with the left and right sections in yellow and the middle section (which is smaller) in the same light blue as the top. All three bottom sections contain drawings of what are either crosses or fleur de leis. Below the shield is a ribbon banner with the word "Markham" in block letters. According to Larry Paul, the Markham Hotel in Gulfport, Mississippi, opened on January 31, 1927.
Springhaven Country Club: Circular green band with the words "Springhaven Country Club" in black block letters. Crossed golf clubs in light brown are behind the green circle and a golf bag containing three clubs is in the front center of the circle. The club is located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania, and was founded in 1897.
The Dolphin: Shows an Old English letter "D" between two stylized dolphins with curly tails. These three elements are done in black and light brown. Below the dolphins are the stacked words "The Dolphin" in black block letters.
A: Shows a brownish gold elaborate frame with a broken pediment with an urn. Within the rectangular frame with a light blue background is a shield containing a stylized Old English letter "A" in a darker brown.
California Transportation Company: Shows a circular life saving tube with attached roping. The words "California Transportation Company" in black block letters run around the ring with a red flag in the center of the ring containing the letters "CTC" in light gray, which is also the color of the ring and roping. The California Transportation Company was owned and operated by Captains A. E. Anderson and A. Nelson and ran steamboats on the surrounding rivers of the San Francisco Bay. The California Transportation Company eventually merged with the Sacramento Navigation Company and the Fay Transportation Company and became the River Lines Company.
For additional info:
Iroquois Sample Plate by Iroquois China
Plate photos: Christopher Riggs
ID for Markham Hotel: Larry Paul
Author: Ed Phillips