Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery Co.
User: Seelbach Hotel
Distributor: J. Dolfinger & Co.
Date of tray: 1918 – 1924
Notes: In December 1903, construction began on the ten-story, 200-room Seelbach Hotel located at 500 4th Avenue and Walnut Street in Louisville, Kentucky. On May 1, 1905, Louis and Otto Seelbach opened the 10-story, luxurious Seelbach Hotel to an estimated 25,000 people that day. The lobby was crafted of marble with bronze trim and against one wall was a fountain by Rookwood.
The hotel was a success from the beginning and a wing was added within a short time containing 300 more rooms, a first-floor German Rathskeller consisting of a floor, walls and columns of Rookwood Pottery and a ceiling of leather — all topped off by an enclosed rooftop ballroom with a hardwood dance floor. The Rathskeller is the world's only remaining Rookwood Pottery Room.
During the 1920s the hotel became the setting for rousing Jazz Age parties and receptions. The hotel continued to turn a profit into the 1960s, then began to decline; it closed July 1, 1975.
The hotel was purchased in 1978, and after four years and $24 million, the hotel reopened in April 1982 with 324 rooms and suites. The hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and is the Seelbach Hilton in 2015.
Lamberton China body with a dark orange pinstripe border and center-marked with the Sellbach Hotel shield logo in hues of orange and grey.
ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware