Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Steamboat Cabin Coffee Shop – Mark Twain Hotel
Date of plate: circa 1925 – circa 1929
Notes: Construction ended in 1928 on the 15-story, 168' tall, 300-room Mark Twain Hotel at 116 N. 8th Street, St. Louis, Mo. It fell on hard times during the 1960s, for that part of downtown was falling into decay. It was demolished in 1977 to make room for the Wainwright Annex. At that time, the old Maryland/Baltimore Hotel at 205 N. 9th Street took the name Mark Twain Hotel and was there in 2006 as a single-room occupancy hotel.
A US Patent was issued on March 25, 1930 to inventor George Ellis, assignor to Scammell China.
For related info:
Mark Twain Hotel 2 by Scammell China
Mark Twain Hotel by Shenango China
Oxford pattern by Syracuse, also used at Elmira's Mark Twain Hotel
Mark Twain Hotel 3 by Syracuse China
Mark Twain Manor by Walker China
Click here to see more information about Mark Twain Collectibles.