Manufacturers: Maddock Pottery, John Maddock & Sons, and GDA Limoges
User: Portland Hotel – Portland, Oregon
Distributor for GDA: Burley & Company, Chicago
Distributor for John Maddock & Sons: Prael Hegele & Company, Portland
Date of examples: circa 1890 -1920s
Notes: In 1882, Henry Villard, president of the Northern Pacific Railroad, commissioned New York architects McKim, Mead & White to design an upscale hotel for travelers arriving in Portland on Northern Pacific passenger trains. Construction began on the hotel in 1883 but stopped in 1884 when a national financial panic forced Villard to resign as president of the railroad. A group of 150 Portland business leaders formed a syndicate in 1888 to complete the construction project. The six-story, H-shape, 326-room Portland Hotel opened on April 7, 1890. It's location, at 721 SW 6th Avenue and Morrison Street, was just west of the Courthouse and the Post Office. The Portland Hotel contained a large dining room, ballroom and bar. For several generations it was the center for Portland's upper- and upper-middle-class social life. By 1914, a couple of more elegant hotels had been built in downtown Portland, and The Portland Hotel was no longer the social center it had been. In 1944, the Meier & Frank Department Store, located nearby, bought the hotel and operated it until 1951. The Portland closed August 15, 1951, and was demolished and replaced with a parking garage for Meier & Frank customers. The parking garage was torn down in 1984 and replaced with an urban public space known as Pioneer Square.
During the years of its operation The Portland Hotel had a number of crested china services. Most of these contain variations on the hotels cross within a shield, within a garter belt logo. There is one pattern that is known, but so far no example has been found. It is reported to have been "fine china exquisitely decorated with scenes from Oregon history."
Maddock Pottery of Trenton, John Maddock & Sons, of England, and the GDA pottery of Limoges, France, produced china with a green transfer crest. It is a green cross within a shield that is within a scalloped-edged garter belt containing "THE PORTLAND – PORTLAND OREGON." There are minor variations to the crest by the different makers. This china service has a green rim line and a green pin line at the verge. An ice bucket with this crest can be seen on the table in early views of the dining room.
For additional info:
Portand Hotel 2 by Maddock Pottery and Scammell China
Portland Hotel 3 by GDA Limoges
Portland Hotel 4 by William Guerin & Company
Portland Hotel 5 by Syracuse China
Portland Hotel 6 by Unknown German Pottery
Portland Hotel 7 by Unknown Pottery
Portland Hotel 8 by Haviland & Company
Portland Hotel 9 by Tressemann & Vogt
Author and photos: Larry Paul